Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election night here was a pretty amazing thing to experience. It's pretty cool to stand in a room full of jaded kids all cheering and unabashedly crying. It made me really happy and filled me with such hope. I'm sure I mentioned this before but, after watching stock footage from protests and speeches from 1968, I said that I couldn't imagine my generation being filled with such optimism rather than pervasive apathy. But skepticism and activism often follow each other, and it's pretty overwhelming to see this kind of camraderie over shared political ideals. I was talking to another non-American about how this country displays both the best and worst aspects of culture,and, suddenly I feel like my faith in people is renewed. It doesn't mean I'm planning on staying away from my home forever, though.

No comments: