Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I just want to bang on a drum....

So I'm almost at the end of my summer work.

Now comes a period of unemployment, which I will hopefully use to finish that writing I've been meaning to, and then, after that, a job hunt.

I hate job hunting.
I have had many fun & frustrating jobs.

I have worked at coffee shops, a spa, a film production company, restaurants, the government, as a nanny, an English teacher for Japanese teenagers, for the Kidsafe project (a summer daycamp for underprivileged children), and....as a professional road line painter.

My only actual career skill would probably be the line painting. Before I got sick of working with misogynistic men and destroying the environment along the Sea-to-Sky highway for the 2010 Olympics, I had a lot of fun that summer driving a two ton truck, figuring out blueprints, and programming a line painting machine. Everytime I see lines on the road now, I notice mistakes and inconsistencies.

I'm in the middle of a mid-twenties existential crisis, if you haven't noticed. I'm not interested in any jobs I'm qualified to obtain, and I don't really like doing boring work 5 days a week from 9-5.

I told my parents, who do want me to return to Vancouver, that I will cave and return if they find me interesting work, such as at a film production company. I always felt that one day I would wake up and some career would just fall into my lap. I used to have aspirations of effecting positive change in the world or making films or writing stories....and now, a part of me just wants to take off, live in a beach hut somewhere, and forget about ever being career ambitious.

I'm giving myself one year, and if I don't make it......dum dum dum....then comes graduate school. But if anyone wants to make a break from North America with me, I can be swayed.

No comments: