Friday, August 22, 2008


T




Just some views from the deck up at my cabin. Last week, I spent the week up at my cabin.
If there's any place that epitomizes nostalgia for me, my cabin at Sakinaw Lake is it. I've been going up there my entire life with my family and friends, since before the road to get up there was even paved. Our 1 acre lot and 3 bedroom cabin & additional sleeping cabin, has a big deck that overlooks the 7 km. long lake. The Sunshine Coast area is a funny mix of hippie locals and rich summering Urbanites with summer houses. The closest "big town" (there's not even a real mall) is a 45 minute drive away. I spend my childhood summers up here waterskiing, canoeing, kayaking, chasing around my big cousins, swimming, cliff diving, reading, boating, wakeboarding, playing soccer, and running. There are even 5 islands on the lake I made up all these "legends" for when I was 8 (the best being Pirate Island). The area is so cool, if I go on a 5 mile hill run, I pass the ocean and about 3 lakes.

I love being up there spending half the day being active, and half the day lounging around reading, drinking beer, and eating really good food (well the food is slightly better if you're a meat eater, then it's salmon and steak dinners, but the salads are good regardless).

I feel instantly relaxed when I go up there. It's like being a kid again. To be honest, most of BC kind of sucks. The Northern resource based towns aren't very culturally diverse and they're pretty ugly. The nature is great, of course. But, the only parts of BC I like to visit outside of Vancouver, are on Vancouver Island (Tofino for surfing and camping and Victoria can be fun, if slightly boring compared to Vancouver), the Gulf Islands, the Sunshine Coast where my cabin is, and of course, the Okanagan in summer. I miss those lakeside summers in Oliver too!

Remember biking around looking for local boys and running away when they talked to us? The Okanagan has some rad wineries and orchards, and the river dam in Penticton is pretty cool. I really want to go up again next summer. But, other than that, BC is kind of lame.

PS, I had another birthday recently (how come they get progressively less exciting? It hardly seems fair), so please lie to me next time you see me and tell me I don't look a day over 20. Hah!

No comments: