Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Email Schemail

I have new email....if you want it, just ask or check my facebook.

PS, my visa was extended!! I'm here until 2009...one more renewal and I think I can get a green card, if that's what I want. It's funny...I hear all of these horror stories about how hard these things are for other people, and the processing times listed on the USCIS were outrageous, but my work visa processed in half the time estimated, and only 1 week after I sent in some missing documents! I don't know if it's because I'm Canadian?? Anyways, if anyone wants info on moving to the US without having to marry an American, I'm insanely knowledgeable now. Although maybe I should just marry an American who wants Canadian healthcare and we can just trade (kidding, kidding, family).

I kind of want to try living in another place, like Europe, since I love the cultures there so so much and have loved travelling there the few times I've been there, but sometimes I don't know if I would like actually living there as much as North America. The plan right now is to probably move to the bay area....I think I'm destined to live in relatively non-sunny places, but it's all dependant on grad school/work plans.

But, it's funny...after all of the family worry and drama due to the Facebook status change, I'm really, inexplicably, happier than I've been in a long time, and really loving this city and my neighbourhood. I keep meeting good people. Probably the change is due to my suddenly non-hermit existence and, probably, my unemployment. I know some people wouldn't feel fulfilled without a job, but, I'm not going to lie, I absolutely love sleeping in, making fruit smoothies and reading the paper in the morning, going for a run, shopping at thrift stores, reading and writing in the park, cruising the farmers' market, and going out to fun places at night.

I don't know how I ever found the time to work. I recently began cooking again, too.
It's funny, the last time I lived with a lovely girl (who, like most, definitely not all, of my best friends vacated the Northwest) we didn't keep any junk food in our house, except for Green & Blacks organic dark chocolate. We had a lovely yard and composted. And I used to cook all of the time when I had someone who shared my passion for marinades, tofu scramble, roasted vegetables, sangria, homemade salsa and guacamole, etc. Then I met the American who only eats crappy processed food.

I tried for a while to convert him. I even tried substituting yam and sweet potato fries roasted in the oven with olive oil and kosher salt for his Burger King Fries, but he was unshaken in his belief that everything could be better deep fried. No wonder he was always unhealthy. Then again, maybe my newfound happiness is due to my recent fall from veganism. I do make a mean eggs benny with feta and steamed spinach.

It's funny, as much as I'm anti-settling down, I do want some of the things that go along with it. I want a house to have friends over for dinner in. I want to decorate.
I guess I'm just feeling the urge to nest.

But this is definitely an abstract feeling. I have yet to meet a boy who likes an independent girl who is kind of a loner. They all say they want that, but when they get it, they just feel threatened, I think.

I personally hate not having physical or emotional space. But I don't think there are people like me out there. At least, I haven't met them.

PS, it's funny that with my blog in its previous incarnation, I knew people read it since....I had all of my "friends" on livejournal. I personally, don't know why people would be interested in my various rants, but apparently some do, and I do like keeping track of my thoughts.

Isn't the internet weird, though? I think it's a sign of our society's demise that anyone can google you and find out if you're "in a relationship" or not on Myspace. It's like all of this personal stuff is out there before people even really get to know you.

I was looking at my flickr account, which I really just use for a few photos and to keep track of outfits/things I like on the internet, and one photo of me, which I haven't advertised anywhere, had over 700 views. How does that happen?

Anyways, I'm spending the night catching up on homework and on the upcoming Canadian election, and resting up for big weekend plans.

xoxo

2 comments:

Kim said...

well thanks...now i have another venue in which to unleash my creepy internet stalking. don't worry, anything i read will not make it into the family gossip circle. i will make up far more ridiculous and untrue rumours about you and your strange american lifestyle for their enjoyment. i think next week you will be beginning your wiccan macrame class/chanting sessions. grandma should get a kick out of that one. sorry i missed you on sunday. i needed some beer after ziplining upside-down through the trees and we didn;t get out of whistler until 5pm. hope to see you soon!

Danielle Colette said...

Oh man,

You should've heard my Mom on Sunday, she was telling some of the family the dive bars I go to, and told them that the night before, I decided to just sleep in my car, since I outlasted all of my friends at the after party. I think after the family reunion, the only impression that anyone has is that I'm the "bad" cousin. It's hilarious.

Anyone can read this blog anyways, since it's public. Tell Grandma I need her head measurements for a headpiece for a wiccan ceremony I'm planning. Tell her it's a fertility ceremony to invoke the goddess the bless her with great grandchildren.