Friday, June 27, 2008

The old ball and chains is always away, it seems.

I don't mind though, I love time alone to lie around in my pajamas and watch old movies.

I was having a 1960s themed weekend. A lot of sangria, a little Godard, a little Truffaut, then on to Arthur Penn's "Bonnie and Clyde." Then I put a scarf around my head and watched the Grey Gardens documentary (its entertainment value is seriously overrated) until I fell asleep for a Sunday nap at 4PM. One day I am definitely going to turn into Miss Havisham from Great Expectations.

I also kind of like alone time in order to gain control of the record player/sound system.

I always feel unsure of what to answer when someone asks me what my taste in music is. My first inclination is to answer, "everything!" But, really, that just isn't true. I would say I like some music from almost every genre, save for modern country (sorry Mom, but it's like the worst music ever, you're probably the only non-Republican who listens to it).

But I do like some bluegrass and alt-country; in fact, I was raised on it. You may scoff, but sure, I have a Whiskeytown record. Wilco, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Gillian Welch and M.Ward too, among others.

I'm sadly ignorant of world music. The closest I've come to it is Diplo.

1990's indie rock? Obviously! Riot GRRL? Hell, I was tempted to move to Olympia at the age of 11 in the midst of that phase. Electronica? How could you be a 1990's teen and not be into it? If I'm feeling really nostalgic and have had a few PBRs, sometimes I put on Alice in Chains. French pop? Yes, bring on the Serge. 1960s garage? Yes! 1960s most anything? Yes! Punk? Some yes, some no. Jazz? I don't know anything about modern, but from the 1940s-1960s, totally. Noise music? Well, I like Black Dice and Melt Banana, if that 0ualifies. Rap, obviously, I'm a 1980s child and a 1990s teen. Electroclash, most definitely. I like what some people term "Northern Soul," but I do take issue with a bunch of white mod Brits defining and identifying a genre dominated by African Americans. No-wave, new wave, 1960s Jamaican music, folk (some), and tons of the bands out right now.....

My ex-boyfriend Luke, a member of the soon-to-be-defunct noise outfit Basketball, once described my music taste as "accessible." Probably a fair assessment, but there is a difference between the music I listen to at home and like to listen to at a party.

If I was throwing a party tonight, I'd probably play some James Brown, Gang of Four, New Order, M.I.A., ELO, the Buzzcocks, the Cool Kids, The Stone Roses,Yes, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, Rhianna, MGMT, Tapes n' Tapes, Jay-z, Grand Ole Party, the Makeup, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Murder City Devils, the Raveonettes, Detroit Cobras, Peaches, Kings of Leon, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Interpol, the Klaxons maybe I'd do some 1990s revival with Elastica, Daft Punk, and Pulp, hell, even some Sandstorm....all pretty standard for a kid
(okay, okay, adult) my age. I do like most everything. Sure I'll take it, I like accessible music.

Being around music snobs my entire dating history, I've been told I'm not a "music person." But I'm okay with that. I know I'm not.

I've given up on trying to be cool, it just doesn't come naturally.

I'm not a film snob either.

I just like to have a good time.

No comments: